Rule the World

It's time to begin my manifesto.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

No. 003: Flying Cars

When I rule the world: the best technological minds on the planet will concentrate on developing flying cars for general release.

I'm obsessed with flying cars. When Monkey urged me to having driving lessons recently I argued that it was a waste of time, as I'd just have to sit a different flying car test in a few years' time. He was undeterred, and suggested I might benefit from being able to drive terrestrial cars in the meantime (and it turns out he was right).

Interestingly, I watched
Richard and Judy whilst visiting the in-laws last week, and they interviewed some science magazine boffin who touched on the whole flying cars issue. He said current research is focusing on the ways swarms of insects and flocks of birds move together, to make sure flying car technology would avoid collisions.

Life will be brilliant when we all have flying cars. I imagine there are several logistical problems to be ironed out - the need for flying car freeways and floating refueling depots, that kind of thing - but one of these days we'll think nothing of buckling up in our own private flying machine and zipping off to the supermarket. After all, Back to the Future Part II was set in 2015, and flying cars featured heavily. They're just around the corner, I tell you!

Flying car-related links:

An explanation of how flying cars might work - "After a century of unfulfilled promises, flying cars may fill the skies in the next few decades. There are still some obstacles to overcome, including receiving approval from the FAA, but the cars are close to being finished."

Real live flying cars! Only $995,000!

The BBC know it's just a matter of time.

3 Comments:

At 1:48 am, Blogger Vickie said...

Yeah, I don't know, maybe you're right, but I just don't think I'll be booking my flying car lessons any time in the next few decades. I expect they'll come out when I'm a senior citizen and I'll be able to cause some serious damage on the flying car freeways.

And I really think it's high time you DID rule the world. Only a matter of time, my friend, only a matter of time.

 
At 1:51 am, Blogger Vickie said...

I just looked at the flying cars via those links, and they're so small! What about our neverending quest for bigger, more suped-up cars? Wouldn't we also want giant SUV sized flying cars? I personally just don't see this flying car craze taking off (Boom Boom!!!)

 
At 7:32 am, Blogger kindred said...

I'm sure the flying cars will get bigger as demand increases, and eventually you'd have flying station wagons and everything.

The real fun will start with towable flying horse floats and flying caravans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home